It started as a debate six winters ago over which FCIAC gym was the most difficult to play in during basketball season, and eventually evolved into a bigger question: which school has the most loyal fans?
That argument continues to rage on. So we are back with the 7th annual Ruden Report Fan Showdown, which is being sponsored by Splash Car Wash. Trumbull’s Black Hole are the three-time defending champions. Ridgefield’s Tiger’s Lair won the previous two years, while Westhill’s Purple Pack was the first winner.
The two-part contest kicks off on Jan. 21, with the winning school getting $500 for its athletic department. More importantly, it will have bragging rights for the next year.
The rules are the same as previous years and the scoring a bit complex, so read carefully:
1. The contest is open to all 17 FCIAC schools.
2. A contact person from each school must reach out by message on email, Twitter or Instagram to enter. The deadline is noon on Monday, Jan. 15.
3. There will be two components. The first will be a Team of the Week-style vote here on the site starting Sunday, Jan. 21, and running until noon the following Wednesday.
4. The team that wins the vote will receive 5 points. Second place is worth 4 points, third place is worth 3 points, fourth place is worth 2 points and fifth place gets 1 point.
5. The second component: each team will submit a video no longer than three minutes showing your fans in action at a home game or games, at any sport or sports of your choosing. We want to see loyalty and creativity. I will arrange with a contact person from each school to receive the videos. The deadline for the videos is noon on January 31. This gives you plenty of time now to plan a game. Here is Trumbull’s winning video from last year.
6. As we receive the videos, we will post them for viewing. A panel of our sponsors will then judge them. They will give a 3 to the best one, 2 for the second-best and 1 for the third-best. The school that earns the most overall points, as with the voting, will get 5 points. Second place is worth 4 points, third place is worth 3 points, fourth place is worth 2 points and fifth place gets 1 point.
7. We will add up the points from the vote and the videos to determine the winner. If two or more schools tie, we will give them the option to agree on holding another vote to break it or to split the $500.
Those are the rules. Sometime in early February we will have a winner of the seventh annual Ruden Fan Showdown, sponsored by Splash Car Wash.